Sunday, October 23, 2011

There is not enough time in a day.


So I have had trouble getting up to the veteran’s home because apparently the bus does not run up there on Saturdays.  I have not been to volunteer there since my last post, but I can talk about my other visit a couple weeks ago. 

My last visit I came in at about 3:00 in the afternoon, so the Veteran’s Home was winding down from the busy day.  I first chatted with two World War II veterans named Jerry and Larry**.  Jerry was ninety-five and Larry was ninety-four. Larry was in the army during the war and fought on the front lines.  Jerry was in the air force.  When the nurse introduced me, she first whispered to Jerry “Can I show her the picture?”  Jerry let a slow smile creep across his face, and the nurse pulled out an old photograph of a handsome man in pilot clothes.  The nurse whistled and said, “Quite the looker ain’t he?”  After the war, Jerry transported monkeys from the Philippines to the United States for medical testing.  He told me that they used these monkeys to test the polio vaccine and other medicines.  Both Jerry and Larry had many pictures on the wall of their many kids, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.  Jerry had twelve grandchildren and Larry had 22 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren.  While I was there they had me change the television channel to Hogan’s Heroes, their favorite tv show.

      At about 4:30 I made my way down to the dining room.  I went through a short training session and then I was ready to help the residents.  My job was to help residents push their trays down the line, help them put food on the trays, and take their trays to where they wanted to sit.  Everyone had a specific spot that I can only assume is their regular mealtime seat.  It was very interesting and entertaining to see every person’s specific rituals that the full time staff was already well aware of.  

3 comments:

  1. The bus thing sounds bad. I have used the bus to go off of campus only once but even then it’s a little iffy you have to really do some planning as to where you get on and off. And for you it sounds like even picking a day is difficult.
    Jerry and Larry sound like very entertaining people. Also, it’s great that they have all of the pictures of their families. Hopefully the families are close to them and can visit.
    I find it interesting that they each have an assigned spot to eat at. Seems like they could sit wherever they choose to. However, I assume that there must be a reason for it.
    Some of the residents seem like they enjoy their time there, like the lady who made a joke about Alzheimer’s. But it is to bad that some of them think that they are being poisoned or hurt there. Glad you are enjoying your service work. Also, good luck with the buses and getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sucks that the bus wouldn’t go on Saturdays. The weekends are really nice days to go volunteering when you have a lot of other school-related activities going on, so I empathize with your situation. Hopefully you’ll be able to come up with some time to volunteer more!
    It sounds really exciting to meet people like Jerry and Larry. They’re not your everyday, ordinary grandpa for sure. It must be so awesome to interact with people who have lived an active history of service for their country and stick around to tell the tale for the younger generations. We have such a privilege of serving especially residents like the veterans; just knowing that they helped contribute something meaningful, like being a pilot for the air force, or transporting monkeys (!!!) for testing with medicine is really remarkable.
    As an outsider, it is interesting to see the habits of residents within their comfort zones. Observing their routine ways can definitely be interesting and entertaining—that goes for anybody. I hope you get to spend more time with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,
    Oh dear! I am sorry the bus is out! I am sure that someone in class wouldn't mind giving you a lift if they are on their way there! I am glad you are finding your service enjoyable! My favorite veteran's are World War II vets! Maybe I'm a little biased after seeing Pearl Harbor, but I know when they returned they truly were thought of as heroes and to this day are regarded as such. They have the best stories and I truly believe that they had special lenses on the cameras that made everyone gorgeous! I'm wondering where the button is on my digital camera. I am glad that the two men are friends. My dad is an Air Force veteran and he loves to watch the a-team and all other military associated TV shows. I think I’m noticing a trend here… On a different note, it sounds like all the veterans are settled at the home. People have rituals usually when they are acquainted and settled. I am glad that they seem to feel safe and comfortable there. I hope you are able to find a ride to continue volunteering and I hope that you continue to enjoy it! Good Luck with your future volunteering!!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete